- Most people in the UK now own a mobile phone and they can be recycled.
- Donate old mobile phones to friends or family.
- Many manufacturers take back old mobile phones for recycling.
- Some companies have set up mobile phone recycling schemes.
Mopay will collect and recycle your old mobile phones in return for cash and are one of the largest companies providing this service in the UK, as they offer some great prices for your mobile.
Certain handsets can fetch up to £200, and you needn’t worry if your phone is not in the best working order as they will often buy phones that don’t work as well, or have damage to them, as long as it is not beyond economical repair. You can check the grading category that your phone might fall into before sending it off. Mopay will try to reuse your mobile phone, and if it can’t be reused, then it will be broken down and it’s parts recycled, in line with the WEEE directive, making this a great option for those wanting to help the environment! Read more information on how the Mopay service works.
Choose Mopay for:
- You can choose from a selection of payment options, including Marks & Spencer gift vouchers, Arcadia Group Gift Cards, electronic bank transfer (BACS), music credit cash collection at post office branches.
- Reliable company who offer a price promise, and as long as your phone has been graded correctly you will be paid the price you see online!
- Freepost address, and a very rapid 3 day payment once your phone has been recieved.
- Help the environment as all mobile phones are disposed of correctly.
Another site offering a phone recycling service where you can make money on your old phone is Envirofone. The service works in a similar way, but this site is slightly better as you can search for your phone by make and model and see pictures of the phones to ensure you have the correct one. This helps if you are unsure of the make and model.
Once you have found your phone you will see the amount of epoints it is worth. You can either collect epoints or redeeem them right away. They can be converted to cash which will be sent out to you in the form of a cheque within 20 days of receipt of your phone, or you can use them to spend in Argos.
The points system is good if you have several phones of low value and want to trade a few in over a period of time until there is a decent amount to redeem as cash or argos credit. They have a good reminder feature too where they will email you in 1-12 months depending on when your phone is next up for upgrading.
Envirofone’s incentives include:
- Photos of phones so easy to locate your model
- Value can be seem straight away on the site
- They pay postage costs
- Charity donation by envirofone with every phone
The Recycling Appeal collects mobile phones as well as PDAs and printer cartridges for reuse and recycling. They raise funds for charity whilst helping the environment at the same time. The Recycling Appeal has generated over £2 million for partner organisations since 1999.
They make recycling your old phones and printer cartridges easy by offering free collection envelopes. You simply need to pop your items into a freepost envelope and put it in the post. You can call up or fill out an online form to get an envelope sent out to you. If you have large quantities of items to send, the Recycling Appeal will arrange for a courier to come and collect them from you free of charge.
Recycling Appeal’s incentives include:
- Freepost envelopes or free collection for multiple items
- Choose your appeal from a number of charities
- Recycle phones, PDAs and printer cartridges
Each One Counts
The Each One Counts scheme collects mobile phones (and printer cartridges) for reuse and gives a donation to your chosen charity for every recyclable item received. Over £3 million has been raised for charities since 1995.
Recycling is made easy as you can order freepost bags online for your chosen charity and free collections can be arranged for larger quantities.
Each One Counts offers the following incentives:
- Freepost bags or free collection for multiple items
- Choose your charity to support
- Weekly competition for recyclers
- Recycle printer cartridges and mobile phones
- Gift Aid can be added to your donation
Support Your School
Support Your School is a free service set up specifically to give schools the opportunity to raise funds for themselves through the recycling of used inkjet printer cartridges and unwanted mobile phones.
Support Your School rewards schools with £1 for every cartridge and £3 for every mobile phone successfully recycled and reused. The scheme is supported with an interactive website with support materials; it also includes a full list of items that are suitable for recycling and details of how much the school has raised.
Schools sign up online and order their free recycling pack containing everything they need to recycle for a year. Parents and businesses are also encouraged to sign up online and receive their free pack to recycle from work and support their chosen local school.
Top Dollar Mobile
Top Dollar Mobile is another mobile phone recycler which offers cash for old mobile phones. “We pay top prices for your mobiles” is its slogan.
After Top Dollar Mobile has received the mobile phone, the customer will get paid within 5 working days if the mobile phone matched the requirement. Bank and cheque payments are available.
Top Dollar Mobile offers the following incentives:
- Easy to use
- Free postage and envelope
- Extensive mobile models for recycling
- Charity donations
CompareMyMobile gathers in all the recycling information people need be green whilst getting rewarded the most cash from one of 40+ trusted and reviewed recycling companies. Devices are either reused in UK markets or sent abroad to Europe, China, Africa or India to be broken down to their raw materials, keeping them out of landfills.
Using the comparison engine will earn you on average 42% more. You can sell your old mobile phones and gadgets direct to the stores using this site’s own checkout giving you extra security and support from their staff for added piece of mind.
CompareMyMobile’s incentives include:
- Recycling of gadgets like; mobile phones, cameras, games consoles, iPads & tablets, ipods, laptops and sat navs
- Trusted and impartial comparison of 40+ phone and gadget recycling stores in the UK
- Trade in broken and damaged devices to keep them out of landfills
- Accredited by the national press as a key step in being green and profiting from it.